The VOLIERA research project aims at developing an innovative multi-sensor component aimed at providing relative and absolute position, track discrimination and odometry information suitable for the railway environment. The main objective is to identify a possible solution for guaranteeing position and odometry information with high availability and reliability in the railway application domain.
The feasibility study logic includes the following main tasks:
- Definition of stakeholders user requirements
- Analysis of the state-of-the-art for (a) kinematic sensors as well as absolute and relative position sensors and (b) the relative sensor fusion algorithms
- Characterization of the possible sensors in the railway environment
- System and Subsystems Requirements and Functional Architecture definition
- Proof of concept design
- Evaluation of the economical sustainability in railways application domain